"a creative act in our life"

“Step 11 emphasizes opening to God's will. Thomas Merton said, "The will of God is not a 'fate' to which we must submit, but a creative act in our life that produces something absolutely new, something hitherto unforeseen by the laws and established patterns. Our cooperation consists not solely in conforming to external laws, but in opening our wills to this mutually creative act [emphasis mine]." I wish someone had taught me that when I was young. God allows us to be in on the deal. God's will is not domineering but alluring and inviting, until it is somehow our will too.
Adapted from Richard Rohr, Breathing Under Water: Spirituality and the Twelve Steps (Franciscan Media: 2011), 94-97, 102-103.

The question of God’s will is one that has made me curious for a long time.  How can I know God’s will for me? What is God’s will? Can we have an access to God’s will? Is the access to God’s will possible?


All of those questions are making me very nervous. When I ask them I feel very lost and confused.  So, I stopped asking them.  I don’t look for the answers outside of me. I go inside of myself to find answers. Rohr quoting Merton wrote that the will is “a creative act in our life…” I believe that act is in oneself.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ignatian Spirituality

The New Peripheries

The Neocatechumenal Way