Sukkot - I miss Jerusalem


Today is the fifth day of Sukkot and I am in Chicago. Chicago has a large Jewish community. However, I live in the Latino neighborhood and I work at the Italian Village at UIC. There is no Jewish life here.
Last year I was at this time in Israel.  The weather was great.  The smell of the food was wonderful. Jerusalem was very much alive.  I miss that great family feast. So, what is Sukkot all about?
It is a celebration of the 40 years that the Jewish people spent on the desert when they left Egypt and before they came to Israel. Since the Ark of the Covenant was in a tent during this whole time, for seven days the Jews eat in a booth outside of their homes.

Chag Sameach - Joyous Festival

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ignatian Spirituality

The New Peripheries

The Neocatechumenal Way