Cosmopolitan


Last week I spent few days in Canada. I went to Hamilton and Toronto.  Canada is much more continental.  It is a county culturally between the “Old Continent” and the “New One.” Going to Canada gave me  great joy. I feel at home there. Why?

Well, a big portion of my life (about 60%) I spent in Europe. I was born in Poland. But I also  have lived in the United States many years of my life – more than 15 years.  I am a product of both cultures.  I feel comfortable in both cultures.  During my time in the United States I have interacted with some other cultures too: Asian, Latino and Middle Eastern. In some way I like to consider myself a cosmopolitan.  I like to say I belong to the world.  Yes, I am Polish and I live in the United States but I believe I can feel at home in any place.  I think this is a gift that I need to use in my life. 


My grandma told me that I need to cherish what is my own but respect and enjoy what belongs to others.  In my opinion, this is a good attitude.  I don’t think I can change and eliminate being Polish. But, how I experience my “Polishness,” can be a very diverse experience.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ignatian Spirituality

The New Peripheries

The Neocatechumenal Way