My Experience at the Camillus House in Miami

Few weeks ago I spent some time in Miami. I had a great time there.  No, I did not go to the beach or any tourist/commercial place.  I spent some  time with the Brothers of St. John of God and people they serve.  The people they serve are very interesting.  Some of them are homeless, addicted to drugs and alcohol.  Some of them have mental or physical problems. Some of them are immigrants.

The powerful lesson for me was that I learned as much from the Brothers as I learned from the people they serve. I do not want to use the expression that the Brothers: “take care of the people.” It is more than that.  It is not “take care of them” in the same way as parents take care of their children.  The Brothers walk with the people they serve.  They are part of their lives.  They care about them and at the same time they know and they treat them with a great dignity and freedom.  The people can come and go as they want.  They can be part of the programs or not. Nobody is ministered to against their own will.  And, if they stay the goal is that sooner than latter they will become more independent and self sufficient. The charism of the Brothers is hospitality.


They place that I worked at was called the Camillus House.  This is the place where people can get some help.  They can take shower, eat, get some cloths, attend AA meeting, go for drug and/or alcohol treatment, get some therapy, go to clinic, stay over night, take same classes, have a safe place to stay, get help with work and affordable living.  There are also people who work on the streets of Miami and go to people’s homes to serve them. The Brothers work together with 200 other people and many volunteers.  All of them make family of St. John of God and Jesus.

Yes, when I say all, I mean the Brothers, the Co-workers, the Volunteers and especially the people that are being served.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ignatian Spirituality

The New Peripheries

The Neocatechumenal Way