to discover my life...

Richard Rohr wrote:

Alternative consciousness is largely letting go of my mind's need to solve problems, to fix people, to fix myself, to rearrange the moment because it is not to my liking. When that mind goes, another, non-dualistic mind is already there waiting. We realize it is actually our natural way of seeing. It's the way we thought as children before we started judging and analyzing and distinguishing things one from another. As Helen Luke says, "The coming to consciousness is not a discovery of some new thing; it is a long and painful return to that which has always been.”[1]

Here, Rohr is challenging my desire to control and to look for what I don’t have and not to let go the control and enjoy what I have. 

Very often I find myself dreaming about a different life than the one I have.  However, do I know the life I have right now?  I just finished working on my spiritual autobiography.  It was a very powerful experience. Why? I learned so much about myself and my life. I learned I don’t know my life. I learned I need to discover my life. There is too much in my life desire to separate experiences from each other and dismiss some of them.  I need to let go of desire. I need to focus on my life and discover it. I do this my observing it and enjoying the process.  




[1] Adapted from Silent Compassion: Finding God in Contemplation, pp. 65-67, 
and The Divine Dance: Exploring the Mystery of Trinity, disc 2 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ignatian Spirituality

The New Peripheries

The Neocatechumenal Way