Euthanasia and an Old Age



My grandpa is over 93 years old. For his age he is still very independent. However, at the same time his is no longer as independent as he used to be.  His way of thinking is no longer clear and his memory is not good. His ability to be critical is no longer as strong and good as it was in the past. It would be very easy to suggest him to do or believe or say something than it was ever possible in the past.  

Working with my grandpa I know that he is at the moment of his life where he is no longer able to make a decision about end of his life issues. However, I do not think it would be something difficult for us to suggest him that a euthanasia is something he should consider for himself.  In this case a euthanasia can be a source of great abuse. Sometimes, I think that people who are in any form of pain (physical, emotional or spiritual) or old age can not make any longer any independent decisions about end of their life.  

However, one can make a statement that our decisions are being influenced all the time by other people, experiences, cultures, religions, economy, politics and historical events.  We are never totally independent. Yet, sometimes we are more independent than other times.

I struggle with the question of active euthanasia - inserting some medication that would end life. It would be hard for me to suggest when one can make a decision like that.  However, with passive euthanasia I have no problem with - stopping treatment and allowing nature to take over our life experience.  The second one looks less active and more natural.  

I know my grandpa is not at the point of his life to make a decision about an active euthanasia; however, a passive one can be a different story. It could be made between doctors, family members and a patient. I need to think more about it.  It is a good topic to meditate about it.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ignatian Spirituality

The New Peripheries

The Neocatechumenal Way