My Commitment to the People on the Edges of Society


This summer was a powerful time for me.  I spent some time in Miami working with the people who are poor together with the Brothers of St. John of God.  They are great group of people. I learned so much from them. So, what did I learn from them?
-          They are brothers and not clerics so they relate to people as brothers.  To all they are brothers.  Yes, some of them are priests but this is not that important.  What important to them is that all the others are their “spiritual siblings.” This is something I like very much.  Even though people call me Father but in reality I am their brother.  This is something I need to remind myself when I see people who need my help.
-          All people are dignified and they need to be respected. We all are children of God. There are some differences between us but this same dignity. We are human beings – the crown of evolution. I decided that I would not turn away my head from anybody. I will look at them and at least smile.  This is the gift I can offer to anybody.
-          The Brothers know the “poor” and the “poor” know them. They know that the brothers would help them.  This is powerful.  I decided to challenge myself to find ways to help others.
-          The brothers help people physically but also spiritually. They pray for the people they serve and for those that help them. I to a lot of spiritual help but not so much physical. I need to commit myself to more physical engagement with the poor.

After spending time with the Brothers I decided to be more involved with the Organizations that serve those on the edges of society.  I got in touch with the Night Ministry (All kinds of services to the people, young and adults, who are homeless) and with the Emmaus Ministry (Ministry addressing the problem of prostitution.) The Brothers challenged my ministry big time. I will be grateful to them for that!  Chicago is a great place to be Christian and share Christ with others!   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ignatian Spirituality

The New Peripheries

The Neocatechumenal Way