Appalachia - Mt. Sinai




This Spring break I spent in Appalachia, Kentucky.  This was the best week of the 2015 Lent. 

I loved the region. The mountains, the sky, the starts and the nature helped me to connect with the Almighty.  The people of the area were very nice.  They don’t have much but the know how to enjoy what they have.  They are very much family oriented. They use their porches to sit and to converse with people and to look at the world.  
Appalachia is perhaps one of the poorest places in the United States.  However, it is wealthy with a beautiful places, people, conversations and music. 
I think my heart was changed in Appalachia.  I don’t feel this same way as I did before going there.  I still have to find out what is that change in me.  For me, Appalachia became Mt. Sinai. 
So what did I do there? I worked on one of the mobile homes. I was a construction worker together with other students and adults.  I lived at the Christian Appalachia Project camp.  I shared bedroom, dining room, bathroom with other people.  There was not much privacy and I loved it. 
So, what is Appalachia for me? That is something I need to still discover. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ignatian Spirituality

The New Peripheries

The Neocatechumenal Way