Public Schools


On the way to the UIC Newman Center somehow I was thinking about Catholic School system in the Archdiocese of Chicago.  For my first 6 years of priesthood I was a big supporter of it.  But now, I am not sure.  I think we should be out of that area.  The schools kept us and our children in Catholic ghettos.  As Catholics we should promote public school system and make it better and more family oriented.  Our children should be raised in a more pluralistic environment. 
However, I am not against Universities run by different religious groups as far as they keep it pluralistic.  
The Church should be more involved in teaching about Christ and morality and not geography, biology or gymnastics. 
In my opinion, orphanages, nursing homes, hospitals and institutions like this are different thing.  We should be involved in them but they should not be just Catholic and for Catholics.  They should be for all the people. 
Catholic means universal.  So, let us have a universal mentality and approach. 

Yes, I support a public education system. I changed my mind.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ignatian Spirituality

The New Peripheries

The Neocatechumenal Way