Taking a break


Last weekend I took time for myself.  It was good. This year I had only 4,5 days off.  Any other day I was doing ministry.  As ministers we need to learn how to take care of ourselves.  We cannot work, work and work.  This is not healthy. Many of us, ministers, teach balance but we ourselves don’t live a balanced life style.
I look at the great spiritual leaders: Buddha, Jesus, Mohomet, Francis of Assisi, Ignatius, John of the Cross, Mahatma Gandhi, Dalai Lama, John Paul II, etc.  They all taught a lot of people but they also spent time with themselves and with some higher reality.  We cannot just give and give and give without receiving and spending time with the things/persons that give us life. 

Balance means that I have (1) time to work, (2) time to spend with family and friends, (3) time for being with me, (4) and time for being with God.  Four pillars – an image of chair.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ignatian Spirituality

The New Peripheries

The Neocatechumenal Way